Seal of New Britain Township
visit us on twitter
follow us on facebook
email us

Planning / Zoning - FAQs

Do I need a permit for a deck or patio?

Decks and patios require a zoning Permit. Decks above 30' grade elevation require a zoning and building permit.

Do I need a permit to build a shed?

All accessory structures, such as sheds, detached garages, swimming pools etc. require a zoning permit. Sheds and garages over 250 square feet also require a building permit.

Do I need a permit for a "kiddie pool"?

Swimming pools less than 24" high do not require a permit, but must be emptied when not in use, unless it is in a fenced-in area.

How do I start a Home Occupation?

Complete the home Occupation Application and submit it to the Zoning Officer for review.

What are the setbacks for an Accessory Structure?

An Accessory Structure must be 15 feet back from the rearmost wall of the home and 15 feet from the side and rear property lines.

Do I need a permit to install a fence?

Fences do not require a permit; however, there are regulations to follow. A fence may be up to 6 feet high in the side and rear yards. Within front yards, a fence can be no higher than 4 feet with a 4:1 ratio of opaque to non-opaque areas.

Does the Township issue occupancy permits?

Yes, occupancy permits are issued for new homes, new commercial structures, existing residential (real estate transactions), apartments, change of commercial tenants and home based businesses.

What are the requirements on a site plan?

A site plan must accompany all zoning permit applications. The plan must show the setbacks from the property lines to the new construction. Also, provide the square footage of each item on the lot for impervious surface calculations.

What type of improvements require an Earth Disturbance/Grading Permit?

In general, any area greater than 1,000 square feet in size that is stripped of vegetation or ground cover requires a grading permit. This includes cutting or filling dirt, modifying or affecting overland stormwater flow, and installation of a dam, ditch, culvert, drainpipe, bridge, etc.

Does the Township have regulations controlling weeds and grasses?

Yes, weeds and grasses can only be 6" high. This does not include flowers, shrubs, trees and cultivated plants.

How high can weeds and grasses grow before being cut?

6 inches.

view in New Britain Township
© 2008-2016 New Britain Township, 207 Park Avenue / Chalfont, Pa 18914 / 215-822-1391
Information on this website is provided as a public service. Please read our disclaimer.
site design | na studios